The Stones River Battlefield

It was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War and it forever changed the lives of those who fought in it and of the people of Murfreesboro, TN.  Today, only 20% of the battlefield is preserved and protected.  The other 80% has already been developed for residential and/or commercial use or is just unprotected land not developed yet.  I’m not sure if most people who live in our town realize what a wonderful historical and cultural commodity we have here.  To some, it is just a place they drive by everday without realizing or remembering the significance.  I hope that Murfreesboro citizen’s will become proactive in protecting this battlefield.

Visti the following wesites to learn a little more about Stones River Battlefield:

http://www.nps.gov/stri/index.htm

http://www.friendsofstonesriver.org/

Stones River Battlefield cemetery monument.
Stones River Battlefield cemetery monument.
McFadden Cemetery, Stones River Battlefield
McFadden Cemetery, Stones River Battlefield

 

Stones River
Stones River

 

US marker atop a monument in the Stones River National Cemetery.
Cannon at Stones River Battlefield
Cannon at Stones River Battlefield
Abandoned cannon at the battlefield.
Abandoned cannon at the battlefield.

Sunday Stills: Wildflowers

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July. 

This week’s theme is wildflowers.  I knew right away where I was going to get my shots: Stones River Battlefield.  The battlefield is a host to many wildflowers and I had no trouble finding them for this challenge.  If you ever come to Murfreesboro, TN, definitely visit the battlefield.  You won’t be disappointed.

Nashville Skyline

A beautiful skyline on a hot June night.
A beautiful skyline on a hot June night.
I was out shooting with Meagan and another Flickr contact, Joe.  Joe noticed these awesome beam of light as the sun was setting.
I was out shooting with Meagan and another Flickr contact, Joe. Joe noticed these awesome beams of light as the sun was setting.

Are They Worth It?

Yesterday we took our two dogs to the vet for their annual exam and shots.  Usually we take them one at a time and the vet’s bill just didn’t seem quite so much when I did it that way.  When I checked out yesterday, it was really a shock to my system and wallet.  So I had to wonder, are they worth it?  Well considering the immense joy they bring to my daughters and to us as a family then yes.  But there are times when these dogs are high maitenance!  Petey, our Jack Russell, is as smart as they come.  Plus, he’s just so cute.  Jake, our shelter dog (part German Shepherd part something else), has a little growing up to do still, but is learning.  He’s a little neurotic, but is an awesome watch dog. So in the end, yes they are worth it!

Petey, Hot Summers Day
Petey, Hot Summer's Day
Petey and Jake
Petey and Jake
Petey
Petey

Murfreesboro, TN

The wetlands at Discovery Center in Murfreesboro, TN.

I enjoy living downtown for the simple fact that it offers beautiful old architecture around every corner.  The downtown square is also a really pretty place to photograph with the old courthouse and office buildings dating back to the 1800s.

The downtown square getting ready for the 4th of July.

 

This is what it looks like when you tell your kids that youre going for a walk and wind up taking pics of everything in sight.  They were bored.  Sorry!
This is what it looks like when you tell your kids that you're going for a walk and wind up taking pics of everything in sight. They were bored. Sorry!

Getting to know me…

This is my first time at blogging and really this site is primarily for displaying my photos. I love photography and have recently in the past year picked up my camera again and have been taking as many pictures as possible. I have also learned a lot from friends and acquaintances in the past year and I am so thankful for the time they have taken to help me and for their constructive criticism. I am also thankful for my family for never complaining on my many photo excursions and for being “willing” participants in all my photography experiments.

Detail

Architectural detail in the Japanese Garden at Cheekwood Botanical Gardens, Nashville, TN. It is a beautiful place to visit.